Posted by: Jeffrey | 2020/08/23


Frequent swelling

Hello, for about a year now, I have been dealing with painless swelling in the same locations on my body. I have had lip swelling, tongue swelling, facial swelling, and even my scrotum has swollen. This has happened numerous times over about a year;s time. I feel no pain, and the swelling usually last for a few hours, then goes away. Scrotum swelling usually takes a few days before completely going down, it does so a little at a time. Also, I will often have red welts break out in certain areas on my body, usually buttocks, below the buttocks, on biceps,and occasionally on my sides or stomach. I do not take any medication, other than something for pain, every once in awhile. Swelling happens regardless if I've taken anything. I do not mess with illegal drugs, don't even drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, never have. As far as I know, I do not have any health issues, other that off and on back pain, which I've been dealing with for several years now. Nothing too bad, but sometimes I'll have to take the mentioned over the counter pain meds. Other than all that, I mostly feel fine. Any ideas what may be going on? I have looked at the possibility of this being an allergic reaction to something, but nothing has changed in my diet, or my home. It's puzzling. Any ideas what may be going on. Thank you very much for your thoughts and / or suggestions. Jeffrey

Expert's Reply


Allergy expert
- 2020/09/13

It sounds like you have a condition called Idiopathic Angioedema. Its very common for this soft tissue swelling to occur in the areas you describe. You should have a blood test done to see if its due to low levels of a blood clotting protein called Complement C4 or C1 Esterase Inhibitor (Hereditary Angioedema). Your swelling sound more like Idiopathic Angioedema as it does not affect your airway, tongue or ability to swallow which would be a concern. There are medications you can take to control this swelling.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.