Sports Injuries

Posted by: Cam | 2016/07/28


Calf injury

Hi, yesterday while playing football, I heard a pop andI could feel intense pain in my calf. I did the RICE treatment straight after. I'm able to walk very slow but with an obvious limp. It is swollen now and still very sore and tight. I would like to know if this need expert opinion from a physio?

Expert's Reply


Sports Injuries Expert
- 2016/08/08

Hi there,

It sounds like you may have torn a calf muscle or injured the Achilles tendon. It's advised you see a sports physician, orthopaedic surgeon, or physiotherapist as soon as possible for a diagnosis, as there are other injuries that can present in a similar manner. Imaging such as ultrasound may be required to demonstrate the extent and location of the injury, and to rule out other pathology such as a deep vein thrombosis. POLICE (positioning, optimal loading, ice, compression, and elevation) treatment is advised initially, and depending on the diagnosis, an active graded rehab program should follow.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.