Winter is around the corner which means flu season is on its way, which results in many South Africans being off sick. Prevention is simple but is not always on the top of the to do list.
Uber, the innovative app that connects riders with drivers, has partnered with Discovery and Dis-Chem to once again bring flu vaccinations at the tap of a button, between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Friday 22 April 2016 to selected areas in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Pretoria.
Vaccination against flu infection can protect you and your family and has been proven to be the most effective way of preventing infection and reducing hospital admissions related to flu complications.
Read: Flu alert: Get the flu shot delivered at home
“We are excited to be partnering with Discovery once again. We always try to provide new and convenient offers to riders, and with UberHealth we are doing just that,” says Alon Lits, General Manager, Uber Sub-Saharan Africa.
“We want to make it easy for everyone to take precautions against flu. Each year, many suffer complications of flu resulting in lost days of work and school. By following good hygiene practice, eating a balanced diet and by having a flu vaccination, it is possible to minimise the risk of flu related complications that could lead to hospitalisation,” says the Head of the Clinical Policy Unit at Discovery Health, Dr Noluthando Nematswerani.
Discovery members will also earn 1,000 Vitality points after receiving their flu vaccine.
How to get your flu shot on demand:
1. Open your Uber app at 10 a.m. on Friday, 22 April.
2. Toggle over to the cross icon and select UberHEALTH.
3. Set your pickup location and request a ride as you normally would.
4. Within minutes, a Discovery-accredited Dis-Chem nurse will arrive at your location, ready to administer flu vaccinations for up to five patients (at a flat charge of only R100!).
5. Demand will be through the roof, so it’s fastest fingers first!
6. If you are not yet an Uber user sign up here and enter the promotional code UBERHEALTHSA and enjoy a free first ride up to R150 before 22nd April!
Important to note:
- The offer is open to any Uber users in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Pretoria.
- Discovery accredited Dis-Chem nurses can administer up to five individual vaccinations during one home visit.
- While the flu vaccination and flu prevention pack will be free, a once off charge of R100 will be charged directly to your Uber account to cover the cost of the home / office visit.
- All Discovery Vitality members will earn 1,000 Vitality points following their flu shot.
- This activation will be for one day only – Friday 22 April 2016.
- You must be an Uber user to request your flu shot on demand.
- Available in selected areas of Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth.
- You must be 18 years or older to request UberHEALTH.
- Should you not be able to get your flu vaccination on demand on the day, we encourage you to visit your closest Dis-Chem store to get your flu vaccination as soon as possible.
Read: Uber taxis bring flu shots to your home
Demand is going to be high and Discovery and Uber have asked that those requesting UberHealth please be patient and keep trying.
For further information and updates from Uber, follow:
@Uber_Joburg, @Uber_Durban and @Uber_CT on Twitter and like Uber’s Facebook
page at UberRSA.
For updates from Discovery Health follow Discovery_SA on Twitter and like Discovery Health on Facebook at
What is flu?
Symptoms of flu