Posted by: connie | 2020/08/02


Brittle diabetic

I am a type 1, my blood sugar go too to bottom out. I am a brittle diabetic. I have asked my doctor for a monitor to help alert me with my highs and lows. She refuse. What can I do?

Expert's Reply


Diabetes expert
- 2020/08/05


It is very frustrating for one when they have erratic blood glucose levels. Options to help with this are a glucose sensor, which medical aids are not currently covering unless you are on an insulin pump. You can pay for your own sensors, and they cost from R990 upwards for every 2 weeks.There are 4 available in South Africa 1)Freestyle alarms 2)Dexcom G6...with alarms 3) Medtronic...with alarms 4) Eversense...with alarms. The latest insulin pumps are also very good at controlling glucose variablility. If you are not elligible for either the sensors or the pump, then you need to be with a good doctor to help you reduce the variablilty 

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.