Posted by: | 2018/09/12


Diabetes insipidus

For the past week, I have been experiencing excessive thirst and have been passing large amount of urine. After doing some research, I found that these symptoms can mostly be found in patients with diabetes insipidus; however, after my GP performed a CBC and tested the kidneys as well, he was unable to find any abnormalities. I am unsure what exactly he has checked regarding my kidneys. However, I have read that DI can only be seen in the blood by examining the ADH levels, and have also read that these are complex to measure, so I do not believe he has checked for this. My question is: Would my GP have found evidence to support a DI condition in a normal blood test? My urine was also tested, but only for glucose content to rule out diabetes mellitus, not for concentration. Is there anything else that could be causing my symptoms?

Expert's Reply


Diabetes expert
- 2018/09/17


With regards to Diabetes Mellitus, you would need to have your blood tested, preferably a fasting test, as a urine test is unreliable. With regards to Diabetes Insipidus, you would need to see a specialist, preferably an Endocrinologist, for formal testing

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.