Posted by: Anonymous | 2020/08/12


Anxiety and Depression

Hi. I have been on Cilift and Adco Alzam for many years now. I am very forgetful and my concentration is extremely bad. My doctor has not prescribed any other medication for me although he knows this. Please can you advise which other medication i can use which i can ask him about. I need help as I have a very demanding job. Thank you.

Expert's Reply


Depression expert
- 2020/08/13

Hello.  All significant anti-depressant medications, such as Cilift are also proved by research to be effective in treating anxiety as well as depression. SO I would see no benefit in adding a sedative tranquilizer like Alzam to treatment.  It is not at all a treatment for depression, and it is one of a family of benzodiazepines which all competent experts  advise  should NOT be prescribed for more than a couple of months at most, 
When one does take them for longer there is a really significant risk of developing dependency on these drugs, and they can be difficult to stop.  In fact one should NOT stop taking them abruptly, but should, as advised by a good doctor, gradually reduce the dose so as to stop more safely.
Also, this whole family of drugs commonly produces difficulty in concentration, memory and similar mental functions, so this could be what's causing the problems you are sensibly recognizing and complaining about.
The other question in my mind, is : are you still significantly depressed ?  If not, then maybe you don't need to be taking an antidepressant at all.  If you are still troubled by depression, maybe this particular AD isn't working well for you, and you may be better suited by an alternative.  There are many other AD drugs, shown to help in depression, to choose from.  If your doctor is reluctant to change this long-standing treatment plan, maybe it would be worth seeking a second opinion, for a fresh assessment and exploration of alternative treatments

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.