Posted by: Lyn | 2018/07/03



I am a 52 year old female. Have osteoarthritis (related to hip dysplasia) GP said I will need to have a hip replacement but am on a medical aid exclusion for a few months so cannot have the op just yet. I am taking OTC painkillers etc (norflex & rheugesic) and sometimes alternate with a genpayne. Is there anything OTC that would be better or stronger. I am currently taking quite a lot of tablets and would like to know if there is perhaps a better "all in one" OTC medication I can take - pain and stiffness in upper legs

Expert's Reply


Arthritis expert
- 2018/07/04

Hi Lyn

There is one tablet that I can think of, which contains an anti-inflammatory medication as well as something that protects the stomach and that one can take on a chronic basis, called Vimovo. I suggest that you discuss this option with your GP because you will need a prescription. This will probably be better than to take a lot of different over the counter meds. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. 

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.