Question
Posted by: IainC | 2019/01/23

No weight loss

Type 2 diabetic. Glucophage and anti-inflammatory stopped by physician because my kidneys are not good. Just started Banting (2 weeks) - Blood sugar fasting has already dropped from 7.5 at best to a pleasing 5-6. So I guess it is working but there is no real weight loss (about 500g). Am i on the right path ?

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2019/01/30

The Banting is in one aspect good as it exclude all the bad carbs that increases blood glucose levels (brown bread/ pasta/ potatoes. flour producs) It is difficult to lose weight consistantly as it does not restrict fats and therefore does not resrict calories.  Most people find Banting difficult to follow as a lifestyle and the large amounts of fat causes increase in the LDL (bad) cholesterol The best will be to contact a dietitian for her to design a more nutritionally balanced eating plan that will control your blood glucose levels most optimally in the long term as well as ensure consistent weight loss Contact www.adsa.org.za