Question
Posted by: Just curious | 2004/10/07

To: my point - Trying to help Jason

Was just wondering why is it that if someone marries a moslem then that person has to convert. Normall the woman changes her religion to that of the family she is marrying into. I have met some women who were moslem and then convert to hinduism or christianity etc, but why do majorty moslems expect others to change? Why is the moslem religion supposedly more superior?

Not trying to start a war...just wondering?

Religion's not one of my areas of expertise. Catholics were, maybe still are, expected to get their spouse to convert even if they mary another Chrstian who'snot Catholic. Force should never be involved. If you sincerely believe that your own particular religion IS the only true faith, and that anyone else is doomed to eternal damnation, you may well want them to convert, so that they can be saved, too.

3
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/10/07

Inc - you should have been twins - too much brains for one person - well said girl !!!

Reply to Lucia
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/07

I don't know what the rules are, but I think it is unconstitutional to force anyone to do anything. Why does anyone need to convert... when you die, you leave everything behind... and then you are faced with your Maker... that is who you need to be true to.

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/07

If someone strongly believes that their religion is the right one, then they would want to continue living their life, abiding by that religion. Why should anyone change to any religion just because they marry someone? To me it is crazier to expect the female to change her religion in general.

I also think (and I may be very wrong), that only two Muslims can be married, for their marriage to be accepted by God (in terms of their belief). So for the Muslim person (be it male or female), they feel strongly that their partner needs to convert.

I am no expert on Muslims, but I think this is an interesting discussion about conversion of religions in general.

If one person honestly believes their religion is right, why would they convert? Imagine praising Jesus all your life, and then meeting a Hindu man and then having to stop praising Jesus so that you can marry this man?

I do not belong to any religion at all, and would never convert to any religion to marry any man. I'd feel like a hypocrite.

Reply to Chelle