Question
Posted by: MPG | 2007/03/30

Need help flattening my waist

I desperately need some type of exercise machine to help me tone down my tummy. Its getting wider by the day. I do not have the will power/time to go to a gym or to jog. I need something that I can do at home, in my own time, but I don't want to waste my money either. I am also one of those people who cannot just lay on the ground and start doing sit ups. I need a physical machine to help me. I am going to be 29 in two weeks and I am feeling miserable because I could eat what I want when I want and I've never been bigger than a 10, but for the last 3 months or so I've been buying more size 12 clothing. And this is mainly because of my tummy and bum. Please help, I am at my wits end.

Hi MPG

You are not alone, and this is by far the most common question that is asked, actually. Everyone seems to battle with the weight in a specific area. It's really difficult to combat though, although you have already hopefully recognized that eating well and exercising correctly are the keys. The simple answer then, is to continue exercise and change your eating patterns. The exercise is cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross