Question
Posted by: wrinkles | 2004/01/26

Mating

What would happen if a brother and sister from different litters were to mate?

Please answer urgently as I need to know, I have also heard that you can give a dog the "injection" as a contraceptive, please advise

It is definitely not a good idea, as it will result in significant inbreeding and any problem in either of the two may be markedly more prominent in the offspring.

The injection you refer to has potential side-effects, some of them very serious. It is always safer to rather consider sterilisation and if that cannot be performed, locking the bitch up in kennels for the period of the season is the next safest alternative. The injection that is given after mating accidentally occurred, is also not safe and can also not be recommended.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Carol | 2004/01/27

It would depend on their pedigrees , BREEDERS often do it to gaurentee the best possible bloodline and to eradicate any genetic problems in their specific breeds

However I dont think you are a breeder so your best option is to have both animals fixed thereby preventing any further problems and more unwanted puppies.

Sorry to be blunt but im totally against "breeding" unless it is for the betterment of the breed.

Please leave it to the experts.

Reply to Carol