Question
Posted by: paula | 2005/05/30

how much exercise

I am quite n active person. I gym 3/4x a week and do light weights;ab exercises etc. What type/amount of exercise is good when pregnant and can too much cause a miscarriage??

The important things are not to let your pulse rate and temperture increase too much for too long. Also be careful with abdominal exercises as these may strain your back. Swimming is a good exercise in pregnancy.

1
Posted by: Nuffing | 2005/05/31

Hi it really depends on you.

If you are healthly and have no risk factors you can exercise throughout your pregnancy. If you have any risk factors (prevent or current threatened miscarriage, bleeding, crampting, placenta previa etc) then you are advised to rest...

There is a lady at my gym who is quite visibly pregnant now, so probably about 6 mnths along, and she runs on the treadmill - for quite long too. But she looks like a runner.

The rule of thumb is that you shouldn;t START any new and stenuous excercise while you are pregnant, but you can continue with whet you are used to as long as it feels comfortable. Don;t do anything that hurts or doesn;t feel good and don;t over exert yourself. It's important not to get your core temperature up too much as that can be harmful to the baby. So don't sweat till you drop! Also keep well dyrated.

Walking, yoga, stretching, swimming, aqua aerobics, and preggy exercise casses are all good things to do.

Enjoy

Reply to Nuffing