Question
Posted by: m | 2004/10/06

Home pregnancy tests

I have been told that home pregnancy tests often give false negatives, because they are done too early or wrongly used/interpreted. Are there any other reasons for a false negative, such as medical conditions???? I have done 10 tests over the last 5 weeks, they were all negative but I'm still hoping...

It probably means you are not pregnant.

2
Posted by: zinzizo | 2004/10/08

Rather go to your nearest laboratory or Dr and have bloood test, but do you have any pregnancy signs yet?

Reply to zinzizo
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/06

I think you're going about it wrong.

Do the test about 3 days after your missed period. The concentration of HCG is strongest when you haven't been to the loo for a while, e.g. in the morning when you wake up. If it is negative, try another test about 3 days later. If that is also negative, then you are very unlikely to be pregnant.

Do another two 3 days apart if your period is late again.

However, if your period is 5 weeks late, perhaps you should visit your gynae.

Things like stress, worry and nerves can delay your periods. If you are very worried about being pregnant, you've got exams coming up, you've had a big shock or life changing event, your periods could well be affected.

Also, if you diet excessively, are anorexic or bulemic your periods can stop entirely. There are conditions like PCOS which affect your periods. I'm sure there are other things that affect your periods too.

Why not visit your gynae and rule these things out.

If you are getting a very faint line on the test, then it is positive. However, the more HCG there is, the stronger the colour of the line should be. If it remains faint or fluctuates - some tests its there, others its not, you should get to your gynae urgently, as you need to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.

Reply to Purple