Question
Posted by: naaku | 2020/03/24

Persistent cough

hi sir recently went to doctor for a cough which was persisten recently ,instead of gp went to ent who diagnosed me with acidity ,she prescribed gordex 40mg{magnesium dihydrate}one daily 30 minutes before food for three weeks and Gaviscon 5m days ,but still the cough was going on then i used cough syrup ,i am upset why the doctor didnot prescribe cough syrup because i couldnot perform my day today works or go in public.,still coughing ,what are causes of this acidity .what should be done ,throat was like cut by a knife ,isnt there any bacteria or virus hiding or the causes .kindly guide thanks

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2020/04/03

There's generally very little benefit of using cough syrups.  So, you should not be upset that the doctor did not prescribe it.  There are many different causes of cough including acid reflux, post-nasal drip, etc.  You should report back to your doctor about how you respond to this treatment and he/she can take the next step.