Question
Posted by: Shannon Hockey | 2019/08/20

Why does my hair smell weird after I wash it?

I've been doing a lot of research and can't find an accurate answer. For some reason, my hair smells really damp once I put conditioner on it. The smell usually only lasts a couple of hours after I blow dry it, but the smell occurs from the minute I apply conditioner (sometimes shampoo as well but not often). I've also noticed it only happens more when my conditioner bottles get to around half empty. I've tried various brands and I really don't know what to do anymore. I did think I may have a bit of an allergy towards shampoo/conditioner as my face would often flare up a little after showering and sometimes I would get a slight burning sensation but that seems to have settled down in recent months. I read articles saying it could be scalp eczema, but I don't have dandruff- I only have a dry scalp. I wash my hair every 2-3 days. Sometimes it gets oily the next day, sometimes it only gets oily after 2 days. If you have any idea on what could be the cause I would really love any feedback. I am at my wits end. (I will be trying shampoo and conditioner now from Lush because it's more natural and I'm hoping that helps).

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2019/09/05

I am really not sure why your hair smells damp after using your conditioner. Its possible some mould could be growing in the open conditioner bottle. There could be mould growing in the shower head during winter, or on the towel with which you dry your hair. Maybe the conditioner just has an unpleasant fragrance.