Question
Posted by: Allen | 2019/11/08

Routinely struggling with excessive gas at the beginning of the week

I suffer from having excessive gas. The thing is that it doesn't bother me everyday. In fact it appears to happen at the same time almost every week. I basically get bloated and gassy every Monday to Wednesday/ Thursday, but then I feel fine on Fridays as well as the weekends. Also, when I do feel bloated and gassy, its not necessarily all day long. It would last for a few hours in the evenings then go away. It's like I get gas attacks where I fart every ten minutes or so and my gut feels bubbly as if I can feel the gas moving through my system. In terms of food, I pretty much eat the same type of food all week. I often have oatmeal or a muffin for breakfast with a banana and a sandwich for lunch. Then for dinner I always have a mix of meat and vegetables with rice or some kind of starch like sweet potatoes. I also always have coffee in the morning. I am not convinced it has anything to do with diet because I don't eat a lot of junk food or take out. I cook almost all my meals at home using fresh ingredients. I am sensitive to dairy so I don't eat any milk products and I avoid eating foods that typically make you gassy like beans, brussel sprouts and cauliflower, etc. Also, I don't eat a lot of food in general. I'm 28 years old and I only weigh about 130 pds. Sometimes I eat barely anything all day and still feel bloated and gassy. Could it be stress related because I do get very stressed at work? Perhaps I feel worst early in the week because of work and then I feel better on the weekends because I'm more relaxed? Or could this be a sign of a more serious condition like IBS? Anyways, I would greatly appreciate some advice as to what could be causing this and ways I can treat the symptoms. Thank you.

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2019/11/14

Hi Allen

Stress can affect the digestive system and cause bloatedness and gas For good gastro intestinal ealth we need fluids ( 5 to 6 glasses water a day) a diet high in fibre (swap muffin) for hi fibre bran cereal and Almond milk as well as flora or the billions bacteria that live in the gut Buy a good pro biotic from the pharmacy Vivomixx or Lp 2 99V and this can help If not you can consult with a gastroentrologist A herbal supplement that you can take that help for bloating is Irabogast - also available from a pharmacy