Question
Posted by: SunShine. | 2019/07/03

Why am I so scared?

Hallo CyberShrink I hope you are well. I am a 50 year old female ... and I am currently experiencing a tremendous feeling of anxiety about everything. I mean like in EVERYTHING. I get a knot in the pit of my stomach when I think about life in general. I'm happily married. I have just celebrated my one year anniversary at my new job. I get by money-wise. In general, I have nothing to complain about. Yet, I am so anxious about everything. It is so difficult to explain - I even experience anxiety when I drive to work. It does calm during the day when I get busy, but soonest the day ends, or I have to go to a meeting, go to the shops, make dinner etc. I experience anxiety all over. I have tried everything. Urbanol prescribed by my Dr. Calming and relaxing music for when I go to sleep. Colouring books. Essential oils. Planning my day ahead so I don't feel anxious - nothing helps. The knot in my stomach gets to a point where I am unable to eat and even drinking water is a stretch. I want to cry when I get so overwhelmed and helpless that I'm not able to turn this around. I am in my menopause, but this is well regulated by my Gynea. I'm a well educated woman with three degrees and a very good position at work ... WHY am I not able to curb this? I desperately need advice - and I'm hoping you can guide me. Thanks for listening.

- 2019/07/04

Hello Sunshine,
Well, I'm freezing, but managing so far to keep my head above the ...er ... ice.
Anxiety's an odd thing, isn't it ?  There are problems caused by people who don't worry enough, like politicians who never bother to think through the real impact of their essentially selfish behaviors on the people at large ; and people like you who who worry excessively when there's nothing happening that ought to cause that degree of anxiety. 
So anxiety isn't usually logical, and that in itself can be part of what bothers us about it. There are two broad ways to help :
One is using medication.  Sedative tranquilizers like Urbanol are popular, and can provide a rapid onset of calming sedation, rather like a large gin and tonic.  And with similar snags.  It's generally not recommended by experts, to use that family of drugs for more than a couple of months, because there is a significant risk of becoming dependent on them.  Like gin, they can impair your concentration and reaction times, and hence impair your driving and similar skills. Also, when used alone, they may reduce symptoms, but don't encourage you to learn how to avoid and control anxiety.
For medicating anxiety, the predominant expert view is that it's better to use one of a range of drugs also used to treat depression ( which quite often accompanies anxiety, anyway ) : they're more effective and more adapted to longer term use, than the tranquilizers.  I prefer that at least an initial consultation and treatment planning be conducted by a specialist psychiatrist, rather than a GP or clinic doctor.
An alternative approach, which can also be combined with medication is the use of some specific counseling / psychotherapy techniques like CBT , Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which help you to revise your approach to the stresses of life and to regain control of this emotion.