Question
Posted by: Just me | 2018/08/16

What type of therapy do I need?

Good day Doc. I'm a 26 year old, white, female. I've just relocated and need to find a new therapist. I have been in therapy for 2 years and my issues are: Anxiety - Social/ General /performance. Depression. I recently found out I have Asperger's (It is genetic). Paranoia / trust issues. Emotional meltdowns as I struggle to self-regulate. I struggle to validate myself and seek validation from outside. . I never individuated. And a big one - Boundaries... What are those even? How should I go about choosing a therapist? What type of therapy should I be after? What sort of qualifications should I look for in a therapist? I would greatly appreciate your guidance as this is very important to me.

- 2018/08/17

Hi JM,
I have some ideas, though in most of the country, we don't have much choice available.  When moving, if you're already in therapy, you could ask your therapist if he/she can recommend someone similar in your new location.
Otherwise, I prefer methods where there is good quality research showing that it is effective and cost-effective ( that it isn't endless, and sets clear goals, with your participation, so you can directly see if it is achieving hat it set out to do ). So currently I like CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) for instance, and I don't like psychoanalytic methods, which can create new problems rather than giving you the tools to re-shape your way of life.