Question
Posted by: Maciek | 2019/09/16

What is increased sinus of valsava dimension?

Hi everyone, I had a heart echo exam and it returned with a note that I have an "increased sinus of Valsava dimension with indexed value just above upper normal limit (4.5 cm, 2.0 cm/ m3". That's correct, "valsava", not "valaslava". I am 43, no history of heart conditions. I showed it to my family doctor who said that it's insignificant. But my friend who is a nurse claimed it might potentially be a serious condition. Is it the same as aneurysm of sinus of Valsalva? Did my doctor misinterpret something? I am just wondering if I should seek another opinion. Libr

Expert ImageHeart Expert
- 2019/09/17

Dear Maciek,

Sinus of Valsava aneurysms are uncommon, but when detected, should be carefully evaluated clinically and with the appropriate imaging. Not to scare you, but the obvious concern is the prospect of a ruptured sinus of valsava which is a surgical emergency.

To orientate the readers, the Sinuses of Valsava are located at the 'root' of the aorta, the large blood vessel conduit extending out of the main pumping chamber of the heart, the left ventricle. The coronary arteries that carry nutrients to the heart muscle stem from these sinuses. There are normally three Sinuses of Valsava with a cross-sectional diameter ranging in the region of 3-3,8 cm, depending on sex and body surface area.

Management will depend on the extent and location of dilation, symptoms associated (chest pain), associated cardiac pathology (such as valve regurgitation/leaks) and the rate of expansion of the sinuses (approximately 0.5cm/year). 

You clearly have no symptoms and otherwise seem to be in good health, in the absence of other systemic disease processes. You will likely only require reqular aortic root assessments, however,it would be prudent to confirm the level at which the initial measurement was taken and to reconfirm these dimensions. A CT scan of the heart and aortic root will provide a more accurate assessment of the aortic root dimensions and associated pathology.  At least then your Cardiologist will have an accurate baseline to gauge any further, dilation.   CH