Question
Posted by: Would-be-Divorcee | 2020/10/15

Therapy/Counselling for Divorce

Hi Doc. I need your advise. I'm a male of 42 and i'm in the process of filing for a Divorce, who do i contact first if i need to go for Counselling? Psychiatrist or Psychologist?

- 2020/10/16

Hi WBD,  A Psychologist, definitely.  The problems you seem likely to need to deal with would be emotional, and best dealt with by a psychologist ( who has the advantage that he/she can't prescribe drugs ) and would use counseling such as CBT ( Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ) which helps you to understand your concerns and develop your own skills to enable you to deal with these.  A psychiatrist is a medically trained doctor who can, and sometimes more often that would be best, does prescribe drugs.  While medicines can be very useful indeed in many situations, what you describe doesn't sound like one of them.