Posted by: Would-be-Divorcee | 2020/10/15

Therapy/Counselling for Divorce

Hi Doc. I need your advise. I'm a male of 42 and i'm in the process of filing for a Divorce, who do i contact first if i need to go for Counselling? Psychiatrist or Psychologist?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink
- 2020/10/16

Hi WBD,  A Psychologist, definitely.  The problems you seem likely to need to deal with would be emotional, and best dealt with by a psychologist ( who has the advantage that he/she can't prescribe drugs ) and would use counseling such as CBT ( Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ) which helps you to understand your concerns and develop your own skills to enable you to deal with these.  A psychiatrist is a medically trained doctor who can, and sometimes more often that would be best, does prescribe drugs.  While medicines can be very useful indeed in many situations, what you describe doesn't sound like one of them.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.