Question
Posted by: Seth | 2019/12/20

Strange chest pain

Hello, I know there has been a lot of posts about chest pain, and its difficult to narrow down the cause without an examination (or several), but I'm getting nowhere with my PCM (VA). I've been experiencing pain in the center of my chest on and off for a few months now. Lately, it has become more persistent and more severe when I feel it. I have noticed that certain foods make it worse as well. The only thing that my doc has told me is that it is probably due to too much stomach acid, and I was given omeprazole. I understand that they have to eliminate the most plausible causes, but I have dealt with acid reflux for a while, and I know what that feels like (including a stomach ulcer). This pain is different, and when it gets bad, I also feel faint. The most recent occurrence happened while I was eating taco bell. It felt like I was starting to have heart palpitations, and I felt tightness in my chest. I had to stand up and walk around to get my mind off of it, and after a few minutes, it went away. I have also been experiencing IBS/IBD symptoms for several months so I thought it might be some sort of vitamin/nutrient deficiency since my body likely isn't absorbing as it should. Every time I look online, my symptoms seem to point to an issue with my heart (big surprise) like some form of heart disease. Another thing I have noticed is that my resting heart rate has been higher than usual. It used to sit in the low 70's but now is regularly in the mid to high 90's and after I eat, it can get over 110 for a short while. I dont usually have high blood pressure, but my last visit I had 130/80. I have also been dealing with major depression disorder for over six years and have had panic attacks. Although the sensation is sort of similar to what I have felt during a panic attack it is not the same and doesn't seem to be triggered by anything other than food. I know this is a lengthy post, but I wanted to put everything out there all at once. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

- 2020/01/06

Hi there Seth
Thank you for the comprehensive post, it helps when suggesting advice. There are a few possibilities, and I still think the most likely cause is gastric in origin - it could be a stomach ulcer or even a hiatus hernia. The only way to diagnose this is to do a gastroscopy. I would definitely suggest that you have some tests done to make sure that your heart is okay, such as ECG and cholesterol tests. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.