Question
Posted by: | 2020/01/14

PCOS, trying to conceive but was prescribed Melodene

I have PCOS and my husband and I are trying to conceive. My gynecologist prescribed Melodene and Sinopol to induce menstruation, and instructed me to call her when I start menstruating. However, is Melodene not a contraceptive? Will it not actually inhibit my chances to get pregnant? I am very confused regarding this, and I was only able to speak to doctor's reception and not to her in person to get some clarity.

- 2020/01/27

Dear Anonymous,

Melodene is a contraceptive pill. Your gynae was probably giving it to you in order to get you to menstruate and regulate your cycle. Irregular menstruation is a symptom of PCOS. She was likely going to start you on medication for ovulation induction when you menstruate which is why you were requested to contact the rooms.Please schedule a follow up consult with your gynae so that you can get clarity regarding the treatment plan.

Answered by Dr T Mohamed