Question
Posted by: Brandon Dyers | 2018/09/24

Noise pollution

Dear Olivia. I live in a place called Phoenix, situated in Milnerton. The street I live in has become the short cut and pick up route for hundreds of taxis. I've actually stood outside from 5:30 in the morning and watched how they would hoot for potential passengers continuously and there is not a soul of a person in the street. The hooting sound to my knowledge was meant for emergencies only and not to alert customers. I struggle with this and it gives me a lot of anxiety and stress.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert
- 2018/09/29

I'm really sorry you are having to endure this. You could submit a complaint to the City of Cape Town: http://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Report/Report-noise-pollution/Report-a-noise-disturbance

Your case will be stronger if you can complain formally as a group, so speak to your neighbours who also might be affected by the noise. 
You could also try contacting the relevant taxi associations themselves. I don't know which would be the relevant association for that area - possibly Dunoon?
Honestly though, your best bet is probably going to be protecting yourself from the noise as best you can. I'm in fact looking into noise-cancelling earphones at the moment, which are more expensive than earplugs but worth it if they work! Please check in with Health24 again for more info on this.