Posted by: Missed beat | 2019/10/03

Missed beat

Morning Doctor A few years ago I went to see my GP for a normal check up. During the check up he examined my heart beat and lungs. Upon listening to my heart he mentioned that there is a missed beat on my hearts rhythm. He asked me whether I suffer from excessive tiredness which I answered no. For the past weeks I suffer from tiredness and strange cramps in my chest area. I sleep a lot and often get heart palpitations and sometimes I feel a flutter sensation in my heart. Should I be worried?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHeart Expert
- 2019/10/07

Dear Anonymous,


Heart fluttering or palpitations is a common symptom in general and specialist practice. The underlying symptom may be due to the exaggerated sensation of the normal heart rhythm or alternatively may represent an underlying arrhythmia , or an abnormality of the heart rhythm.


There are too many causes of an abnormal rhythm to mention, given the platform of discussion. The most common being isolated single beats of ventricular or atrial origin, the lower and upper heart chambers respectively. These beats are usually inconsequential if non-sustained and transient. Anxiety, caffeine and certain medications (to name a few cause), may precipitate these beats.


A serious condition, to exclude if the impulses are felt to be irregular, is atrial fibrillation, associated with stroke. The risk of stroke depends on a number of factors. Your GP would have presumably performed or referred you for an electrocardiogram to screen for this condition.


Your palpitations should also be investigated if associated with dizziness, chest pain, swelling, shortness of breath or loss of consciousness.


Your age and background medical history are crucial to assessing the possible causes. If these symptoms are troubling you, then I would suggest getting a baseline, screening electrocardiogram.


Thanks for your question.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.