Question
Posted by: Xxx | 2020/07/14

Lethargy dominates my life

For the past ten years I have suffered from increasing lethargy to the point that it now dominates my life. All of my good intentions, dreams and duties get neglected because it all seems too much trouble and just makes me tired, mentally and physically. I need advice on how to get myself back to normal step by step.

- 2020/07/17

Hello Xxx,
OK. We could make a plan for dealing with this, but you'd need to actually carry it out, or we'd end up back where we began, and you'd feel even more defeated.  We'd best start by seeing a doctor for a general check-up ; sometimes all sorts of other health problems can cause tiredness and exhaustion  : anemia,for instance, or depression, which is both tiring and reduces our initiative, ambition, hopefulness, and energy.  Most such problems can be cleared up fairly easily, which may solve the prime problem ; if they don't solve it, they'll make the rest of what's needed much easier.
Because the second level of approach is to see a good local psychologist who can assess the psychological issues explaining why you are failing to put your plans and needful actions into effect.  If one actually tries to get anything in particular done, one usually succeeds ; sometimes one will fail, as everybody does, but then you don't give up, you analyze what aspects of your approach didn't work, modify the plan, and try again.
Sounds like you are giving up before you even try.  Another common aspect of such problems is that you lie there, waiting for "motivation" to arrive, maybe brought by a courier in a box tied with a ribbon.   Don't wait for motivation ; just get up, unmotivated, and do the task anyway.  Once you get it done, move on to the next task, and so on. Getting things done brings motivation.
Using a CBT approach, a psychologist or counsellor should be able to help you to overcome this problem and form helpful habits so you can keep on getting things done