Question
Posted by: SC | 2019/04/18

Hyalase

I've had Hyalase a couple or times across my cheeks, nose to mouth lines and mid face, has this damaged my skin?I recently went for a skin tightening facial and an aesthetic nurse basically told me I had caused permanent damage to my face from having hyalase treatments (elsewhere) and that she would never inject anyone with it. I am so frightened and have been suffering with anxiety ever since seeing her because of what she told me. Have I caused permanent loss of HA? Is my loose skin able to tighten up again or do I need to look into having some surgical treatment? My cheeks were particularly heavily filled for about 2 years so could it be that this is where the loose skin is coming from?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert
- 2019/04/24

Hi SC. Thank you for the question and my sincerest apologies for not answering sooner. We normally receive an email notification when a question has been asked but there seems to have been an IT glitch and I never received a message that your question was asked.

Hyalase will not cause permanent damage to the skin. Once injected its duration of effect will be between 5 to 10 days. After this your own skin continues to manufacture hyaluronic acid (HA) and the skin’s HA levels will return to normal.

If the cheeks were filled ‘heavily’ for 2 years and this has now been removed the laxity you are experiencing is the natural ageing process and the lack of support provided by the heavily filled areas.

Your best option would be to have the face examined to determine the exact cause of the laxity and from there one can decide on the best treatment options.

So just to be sure the Hyalase has not caused permanent damage and the difference you have noticed is caused by natural ageing changes.

Kind regards

Dr Alek NIkolic