Question
Posted by: | 2020/03/17

Itchy scalp, Pounding headache

I'd like your help and I'm unsure if these two problems are related. The first is my itchy scalp. There is a small spot like lump nearby the front of my hairline, this has been there now for months. My scalp is itchy in at the back, underneath and by the tiny lump- seemingly spreading around my scalp and painful. I checked my hair for lice as you would, nothing. I changed my shampoos and washed more frequently- and less but still no improvement. At times the discomfort has woken me from sleeping and it doesn't seem to be calming down. The second is whenever I stand or turn while walking, I always go slow- however whenever I do so I'm greeted with a pounding headache and often dizziness. Yesterday I struggled to stand for long periods and I'm unsure what to do to help this. If you may know the cause resolution or even just advice, let me know.

Expert ImageHeadache expert
- 2020/03/30

As far as the itchy scalp is concerned, my advice is that you first see a dermatologist, as this is not usually something that is related to headaches. With regard to the headaches, to get to the root of the problem, it is necessary to undergo an in-depth diagnosis to determine exactly where the pain is coming from. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed. To learn more about the multidisciplinary assessment, please click here

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain. For more information on how the muscles can affect headaches, please click here. For more information on the involvement of the arteries in the pain please click here and here.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click here

To contact The Headache Clinic call 011 484 0933, or e-mail to info@theheadacheclinic.net