Question
Posted by: NOKTHULA M | 2019/06/14

Headaches since childhood

IM A FEMALE  24 YRS OF AGE. IVE HAD HEDAICHS SINCE I WAS BWT 6 YEARS OLD I JUST GOT DIAGNOSED WITH A HIGH BP 2MONTHS BACK, MY PROBLEM IS NO AMOUNT OF WATER OR HEALTHY FOOD HELPS LOWER MY BP. SO IS THE ANYAY OF IT LOWERING OR ANY MEDS THAT I DNT KNOW THAT CAN LOWER IT!!

Expert ImageHeadache expert
- 2019/06/17

Dear Nokthula,

If your doctor has diagnosed you with high blood pressure, then surely you were prescribed medication to control it - I don't know who told you that drinking water and eating healthy foods will bring your blood pressure down, but it is highly unlikely that you can control your blood pressure in this way.

Although high blood pressure can sometimes make headaches worse, it is not the cause of your headaches. 

It is essential to get a proper diagnosis by experts of what is causing the headaches. To get to the root of the problem, it is necessary to undergo an in-depth diagnosis to determine exactly where the pain is coming from. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed. To learn more about the multidisciplinary assessment, please click here

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain. For more information on how the muscles can affect headaches, please click here. For more information on the involvement of the arteries in the pain please click here and here.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click here

To contact The Headache Clinic (Johannesburg, Cape Town), call 011 484 0933, or e-mail to info@theheadacheclinic.net