Question
Posted by: | 2020/03/14

I wake up every day with a headache, clogged ears, stuffed nose, and shortness of breath.

Hello, I am seeking medical advice for a physical condition that I have been dealing with for over a year. I do not know what is going on, but will try to describe my symptoms as best as I can. I am a 25 year old male, 6 foot 4 170lbs with no prior medical history. Everyday I wake up with a very foggy mind, clogged ears/headache mostly in the rear part of my head, and a stuffed nose. There is pressure around my sinus. I have been prescribed antibiotics a couple of times over the year as well as steroid pills in case it was a sinus infection, which has not helped. In addition to the face pressure, headache and clogged ears (which also affects my memory greatly and ability to think), I have shortness of breath and a slight pain in my chest if I am to inhale very deeply, especially if I am bent over to constrict my chest further. My entire body and limbs are weak, making physical exercise incredibly difficult, and almost out of the question in the morning which is when I feel the worst. I feel that there is this weight constricting me that originates in my chest. I have always been an avid yoga practitioner and generally active individual, however over the last 6 months specifically my practice has suffered and it became increasingly difficult to make it through a vinyaya (power flow) yoga class. A little on my lifestyle - I try to avoid fried and processed foods as much as possible, and eat adequate fruits/vegetables as well as drink water daily, minimum 64oz. I do eat meat, grains, and dairy, although I have cut back significantly on dairy and eat virtually no dairy now. I visited a neurologist and she suggested I get tested for allergies. I visited a professional who tested food (including gluten) and airborne allergies - the only positive result was for alternaria (strain of mold). For the past 2 years up until Dec 2019 I have been working in the corporate office of a bank. Many employees here have suffered from respiratory issues and complained the building is poorly maintained. I suspected for a while that I could be suffering from some type of respiratory issue caused by the work environment. I quit as of December 2019, and as of jan 2020 left to live in Cali, Colombia with my grandmother. My symtoms have worsened and I am not sleeping well. They appear to be linked to my sleep since they are worst in the morning. The only change in my diet is more tropical fruits and carbohydrates (rice, potatoes, bread)