Question
Posted by: Poomaney | 2019/11/02

sulphur allergy

I suffered from this alergy from 1980. When i ingest food containing sulphur or there is sulphur emmisions i break out with ulcers in my mouth and tongue. The ulcer, if there are no more exposure will last for at least three weeks. From 2016 I am suffreing with continous ulcers due to being exposed to sulphur in the air (industry close by). Please help? Is there a cure?

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2019/12/19

Sulphite or sulphur dioxide preservatives tend to cause allergy-like reactions with chest symptoms and asthma or urticaria (hives). This is usually found in processed drinks and foods with a long shelf-life. Atmospheric sulphur is found in exhaust emissions from coal fires and petrochemicals, and forms part of ambient pollution. Although this may irritate the airways, its not an allergic reaction but part of the pollution load we experience in day to day life. When combined with water sulphur can result in "acid rain".  If you are sensitive to sulphur, it makes sense to try actively to avoid it as much as possible.