Question
Posted by: | 2018/01/13

I beat my cat up

My girlfriend has 4 cats. 3 of them I've known a few years, but the 4th one is a kitty we rescued from the streets after a storm last year. It was sick and we nursed it back to health. Ever since then the cat has been with us and is very loving and behaves well. The problem began last month, when the cat began getting more attached to my girl, and began ignoring me as well. This didn't bother me much, as I thought normal that a cat would have a favorite person. However, today, being alone in the house, picked up the cat and sit on the couch to relax after doing the chores. I pet it for a while but, for some reason, the cat didn't want to be on my lap. I had never yelled or hit the cat, so I didn't understand why would it try to get away after being cuddly all these months. After picking him up a couple of times and seeing it run away again, I picked him up, only to get clawed and bitten by him. A part of me thought that maybe he was ill and didn't want to be picked up, but another part of me got mad since the cat I rescued wouldn't want to be with me, and I ended up kicking him against a wall (not against it, but the poor thing flew and hit the wall). He let out a small cry and hid in the chimney, and I got sick of myself and let the cat stay in there for a while. A few minutes later I got worried and tried to get close to see if it was injured (luckily he's fine as far as I know), and while it keeps fleeing from me and only lets himself to be picked up when he's resting on a bed or the couch (but he was always like this), I'm worried about three things. First, why did the cat behave like that? Second, what can I do to avoid responding like that when I get mad? Third, if I manage to avoid doing it again, how can I gain the cat's trust again?

- 2018/01/16

The best will be to contact a animal behaviour specialist:

VETERINARY BEHAVIOUR PRACTITIONERS

Pretoria - Centurion
• Dr Mari Welthagen – 072 242 8981 mari.welthagen@gmail.com
• Dr Yolande Johnson 083 233 9260 clinic@zambesivet.co.za
• Sr Carla van der Merwe 012 529 8096 / 0833085223
carla.vandermerwe@up.ac.za
• Dr Elize van Vollenhoven elize.vanvollenhoven@up.ac.za – Onderstepoort (limited availability)

Johannesburg
• Dr Frederique Hurly: 083 654 8116 - fchurly@mweb.co.za

Benoni (Eastrand)
• Dr Le-anne Kleynhans: 011 792 1728 - leanne@bromhofvet.co.za Jhb

Northwest
• Dr Leaura Velkoop 082 879 7749 jabula1@mweb.co.za
• Dr Donne Roberts: 083 556 7190 dr.donne.roberts@gmail.com Midrand
• Dr Jackie Sharp: 011 803 1221 vets@sunninghillvillagevet.co.za 

Jhb North
• Sr Linda Venter - <pawz.n.all@gmail.com -­-
082 574 4342 - Jhb South & Alberton

Durban
• Dr Kylene Kelbe: 031 763 3323 kkelbe@gmail.com
• Dr Trish Bredin: trish.bredin@mweb.co.za Hilton

Cape Town – Western Cape
• Dr Varini Naidoo: saintf@mweb.co.za Cape Town
• Dr Aileen Pypers: aileen.vet@gmail.com Stellenbosch
• Dr Kegan Becker: kegan.bell01@gmail.com

Port Elizabeth
• Dr Alma Kerr: 041 373 4243 almakerr@hotmail.com

Nelspruit
• Dr Laura McIntyre: 083 793 4502 laura.canterbear@gmail.com West AcresVeterinary Hospital, Nelspruit

Gravelotte
• Dr Nina Kisch: 082 212 3702 drninakisch@gmail.com. Consulting available and travels to Tzaneen, Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa, Nelspruit

1
Posted by: Bob | 2018/01/19

So the guy says he KICKED his cat at the wall... and you reply saying contact an animal behaviourist ?! Unbelievable. How about telling him to hand over the cat to someone who is not a violent idiot.

Reply to Bob