Question
Posted by: Joy | 2018/06/12

How to lower cholesterol while avoiding weight loss

I’d like to start this by saying I am a female who graduated high school at 17 years old at about 91 lbs, and my PCP always harped on my low weight though I never paid much attention to her. I am now 20 years old and float at around 112 lbs, however I gained pretty much all of that weight due to A. Essentially binge eating while stressed or whenever my anxiety was worse than usual and B. Eating crap food from being a broke college student. Because I gained all this weight in the worst way possible, I went in to get some blood work done in 2016 and my cholesterol was at 260. Yup, 260. So I started to much eat better and got it down to 210 in 2017. Now it’s 2018 and I have yet to get blood work done, but I don’t expect it to have dropped significantly, as I have had a rough year and some bad eating habits began to creep back into my life. I know doing cardio can significantly lower my cholesterol, but I also know cardio will also cause me to lose weight. I’m pretty much asking if there is any other form of exercise outside of cardio that will help me lower my cholesterol levels? I am concerned about losing all the weight I’ve put on and I don’t want to go back to being 91 pounds and looking sickly, but I also know heart health is something to be taken extremely seriously, especially as a woman. Thank you for your advice, hopefully my levels have not gone up over the past year

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2018/06/24

Dear Joy, Thank you for getting in touch with us. It would be good to have your cholesterol levels tested again to see where they are at the moment, given that you lasted tested this in 2016. Other than the amount and type of exercise you do, the foods you eat can have an effect on your cholesterol levels. It is recommended that you visit a registered dietitian in your area to do a dietary assessment and provide you with advice on ways to lower your cholesterol levels if this is still necessary, while preventing unwanted weight loss.