Question
Posted by: Fred | 2019/05/27

Emotional neglect

I grew up in single parent home. i felt emotionaly negelcted and that has caused me to doubt my self worth. What can i do to remove that empty feeling that my parents werent really there when i needed them emotionally.

- 2019/05/27

Hello Fred,

Sadly this is quite a common experience ; and even parents who work hard to protect us and provide for us materially may fail to recognize the importance of a child's emotional needs and the need to help them to recognise their self-worth.  In my experience, this is often because they were brought up similarly, and so don't realize that you're not getting something they never had for themselves.  Sometimes they may have had a childhood even less cared for materially, and may even feel proud for having given you more than they had, usually in a material sense : food, education, and so on, without realizing that meanwhile you have not received the sort and degree of affirmation you seek.  If they never received it, they don't notice it as missing, don't appreciate its importance, and don't know how to give it. 

This is the sort of situation in which counselling, especially of the CBT form, can help a great deal.  You can learn to recognize and celebrate your own self-worth, and to grow in self-confidence and self-empowerment