Posted by: BB | 2019/01/23

Depression/anxiety or something else?

I hope you can provide some insight and/or suggestion. I have been in and out of hospital, the last time ICU. Symptoms that sends my body in total immobility. Tolerating them has become a daily challenge. I have seen a GP, physician, Psychologist, various blood tests, kidney function test and CT scan and all with no results. The one episode I had my body shut down numbness with pins and needles left me unable to speak, write, use my arms, in and out conscience and difficult walking with uncontrolled blood pressure, this sent me to ICU for 4 days. Symptoms: nausea, extreme headaches, dizziness, irritation, concentration problems, disorientation, blur vision, fatigue, hot sweats, tight chest, palpitations, tremors, appetite changes, hair loss. I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and been on meds (Azor 0.5mg/Indoblock 20mg/ Nuzak 10mg, changed to Brintilex) 6 months and still experience episodes from light to severe. I do have a stressful job which doctor said might be the reason. Is it severe depression/anxiety or something else?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink
- 2019/01/24

Hello BB,
I'm guessing that all those tests and consultations did not produce "no results", but that they did not produce results pointing to any particular disease or disorder.  That may feel annoying if they didn't produce the answer to your questions, but presumably it's good news if they established that you don't have a number of other serious troubles. 
But that was clearly a horrible experience you went through, and of course you'd like a clearer explanation of what happened, and treatment that can help you to recover and prevent further episodes like that.
It does sound as though at least a significant part of the problem may include depression and anxiety disorder, and the stress problems at work.
I'm surprised if the psychologist you saw didn't recognize this and propose treatment for it.  I'd suggest trying a specific form of counselling called CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which is excellent for teaching you how to regain control of such situations, to control anxiety and depression when these arise and to handle the stresses at work ( and any others that may arise in life ) effectively and without allowing them to affect you so awfully.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.