Question
Posted by: | 2019/08/23

Constant Hunger

I am a 48 year old female and struggle with my weight and have done for my entire adult life. Now in my late 40's weight loss is extremely difficult. I also find I crave carbs and chocolate daily, I don't sleep well and have started getting headaches. I find that I am permanently hungry which doesn't help when trying to lose weight. 2 years ago I had blood tests done and according to my dr everything is normal. I can't understand how all the cravings, constant hunger and not being able to sleep is normal. Please could you assist me.

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2019/08/24

Thank you very much for your question.

Sorry that you have been struggling for such a long time and that you are finding things particularly difficult during this phase of your life.

Firstly, the lack of good sleep is most likely playing a significant role.  Sufficient, good quality sleep is essential for good weight management.  As dietitians, this is not our specific area of expertise but it is important to investigate this further and get help to improve your sleeping. This will in turn assist with reducing cravings because being tired is very likely to be one of the reasons you are craving chocolate as a "pick me up".

Hunger and satiety (how satisfied one feels after eating/ feeling of fullness after eating) are affected by numerous factors, including the types of foods eaten.  For example, carbohydrates that are high in fibre are digested more slowly and keep one satisfied for longer than those that are refined and highly processed. Including protein and small amounts of healthy fats can also enhance the satiety value of a meal.

Some foods and drinks can also stimulate appetite, for example alcohol and sugary foods, and therefore consuming these can often lead to a vicious cycle of cravings.

An appointment with a dietitian would be helpful because they would be able to carry out a thorough assessment, including looking at what you current diet consists of, so that they can provide you with individualised advice and guidance, as well as support, to help you with your weight loss and optimising your overall health.  You can go to the Association for Dietetics in SA website to find a dietitian in your area
http://www.adsa.org.za/Public/FindARegisteredDietitian.aspx

It is also important to remember that things could have changed over the past 2 years and it would be advisable to repeat blood tests.

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2019/09/08

very good information thanks