Question
Posted by: Worried Mom | 2020/07/28

Conceive

Dear Doc. I am a 40-year-old married woman. I have 2 daughters. Both of them are in their teens. Is it still possible for me the get pregnant? I am healthy and have no health problems. I have been on Petogen for the last 10 years as a form of birth control. My husband and I have decided to try to get pregnant. It has been 2 months since I had my last shot. he is a bit hasty but I told him it's going to take time for my cycle to return to normal. I cannot help to wonder if my age is going to be a problem. I do not have any signs of menopause. Should I be worried about conceiving?

- 2020/08/03

Many women your age do conceive, though the older you are the harder it may be. It can take up to a year after stopping Petogen for your cycle to return to normal and then some time after that to conceive. I would suggest that if you really want to conceive you see your gynae who may consider ovulation induction or other treatments. Do remember also that the risk of Down syndrome increases after the age or 40.