Question
Posted by: | 2018/04/26

Can I fall pregnant with a blocked fallopian tube?

I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2013 and was told that my other tube is blocked, are there any other options for me to use if i want to conceive again?

- 2018/05/22

Dear Anonymous,

There are a few options for you to conceive again, the safest however would be In-vitro fertilisation (IVF). This technique bypasses the function of the tube entirely as fertilisation will now occur in the laboratory and not the fallopian tube. The drawback of this procedure is of course the cost as it needs to be done at a fertility centre. Alternatively, depending on where your tube is blocked and how extensive the damage is, it is sometimes possible to repair the tube. This procedure is not always successful and may also increase your risk of having another ectopic pregnancy. However, if the tube is repaired successfully, conception can then occur naturally as long as there are no other fertility problems and you can then also have subsequent natural pregnancies in the future.

Answered by Dr Tasneem Mohamed