Question
Posted by: Lindie Nell | 2018/06/19

Blocked nose in babies

Gooday dr I'm in need of expert advice for my 4 month old son. he was diagnosed with acid reflux when he was 5 weeks old. He was put on expensive medication for the reflux which help a lot. He had a wheezing in his nose as well and now his nose is blocked badly. I've tried 3 different nose sprays and drop but still blocked, i used the Steamer to steam him and still nothing. could he maybe be Lactose intolerant and the milk he is on currently is causing the issue or could it be maybe be a chronic sinus problem? What milk is best on this issue please

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2018/06/28

The nasal passages in babies are narrow and block easily.  Babies also don't know how to mouth breath, so when their nose blocks, they can become very distressed. A simple saline (salt water) dropper will help to soften up mucus. Increasing indoor humidity with a Humidifier will also help. The condition always settles with age. Lactose Intolerance will cause diarrhoea and excess wind and colic, but will not block the nose.