Question
Posted by: Warm regards | 2019/05/03

8-days-late but negative pregnancy test

Hi Dr. I trust you are well, I am 8 days late with my period and took a pregnancy test when I was 3 days late and it was negative. I've been on Fertomid and it didnt work. My gynae confirmed that I dont ovulate. The only time I know I will ovulate is if im on Evra patch and got pregnant after being off it, unfortunately I misscarried. Now Im back to skipping my period. My gynae prescribed clomid this time. I have no sign of my period showing up. Should I test again anytime soon?

- 2019/05/31

Dear Anonymous,

Fertomid can be the cause of your delayed period. You should however repeat the pregnancy test to be sure. If it is negative you need to book an appointment with your gynaecologist to exclude any other pathology. Your gynaecologist may then induce your period with medication. The fact that you had regular cycles whilst on the Evra patch is as a result of the hormones in the patch. In your patch free week you will bleed as a result of withdrawal from the hormones. Seeing your period does not mean that you were ovulating. If you are failing to ovulate with fertomid it may be time you visit a fertility specialist for further work up and assistance.

Answered by Dr T Mohamed