Posted by: Liz | 2009-09-07

Want to fall pregnant

Hi Doc,

I am 39yers of age. I am remarried. My husband is 40.My husband and I would like a child. I have 2 children from a previous marriage. I had the Mirena inserted just over a year ago. I know I would have to have it removed first. How long after can we start trying and are there any risks? Are there any necessary vitamins both my husband and I need to take before we start? we are both smokers. I know we would both have to give up smoking which would be a good thing.
Are there any other risks because of my age?

You would be able to start trying a couple of weeks after the Mirena is removed. You should start taking folate now and it is important to stop smoking. There is a slightly increased risk of Down syndrome at your age.