Question
Posted by: Curious | 2008/06/03

Q.

Nuzak side effects

My wife went to our GP for a prescription of Nuzak for "work stress".

Lately I have noticed that whenever we discuss issues she looks at me with an emotionless expression on her face. Even subjects that would usually created emotions does not alter her emotionless expression.

I discovered by chance that she has been using Nuzak on-and-of for about 35 days as she did not inform me of using the medicine. The problem is that this medicine has now chemically altered her reactions and emotions.

She does not want to continue to use the medicine but its my opinion that she must gradually get "off" the medicine.

Is this normal to react emotionless with the use of Nuzak as this medicine suppresses the release of serotonin?

Expert's Reply

A.

Nuzak is a treatment for real Depression, not for work stress ( CBT is a good treatment for both ). If she is not depressed, she should not have been put on the medicine at all ; if she was and is significantly depressed, she should be receiving proper treatment for it, which might be Nuzak. And then she should remain on it until better, which takes months, not days ; and when the doc recommends she stop it, it should be stopped gradually, not suddenly.
Some people do describe, maybe especially in the earl stages of taking such a drug, a relative lack of emoitional expressiveness. But this is not a lasting effect, and is not as unpleasant or damaging as Depression itself.
Maybe if she ( and apparently you ) are unsure of the advice the GP gave, she should ask to see a psychiatrist for a second opinion
An SSRI antidepressant, by the way, doesn't suppress the release of Serotonin, but suppresses the re-uptake of serotonin in the synaptic clefts. As a relative lack of serotonin in those clefts between nerve cells seems to be part of depression, reducing the re-uptake of serotonin leaves what there is available and acting for longer, effecively reversing the relative lack of it.

9
user comments
Posted by: Van | 2014/03/28

My young son of 5 is a real challenge lately. He whines a lot and will become hysterical if he cant get what he wants (like sweets, toys etc.) He would also lash out at his younger sister when provoked, display severe jealousy and plainly refuse to obey instructions. This behaviour seems worse when both us parents are around. Its not a problem at his school (grade R) or even when he interacts with the rest of our family or friends. To an outsider he would come across as a normal good young kid, leading me to believe its mostly manipulation on his part. I'm better at dealing with this, but its really getting to my wife to an extent where she is building up a real resentment towards him. She would burst into bouts of anger and screaming. As a family this is starting to affect us all and I was wondering if there is some medication for her to calm her down without causing side effects. She is on a herbal product at the moment but after a month no real improvement. Someone we know takes Nuzak and swears by it.

Reply to Van
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/06

I sometimets forget to drink a pill same time,or forget to drink at all, is this going to damges or not? And what are side effect of Nuzak casules?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/06

Posted by: Karen | 2013/12/24

Please watch www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsqDyEMkLpQ? It contains a lot of information that will help.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: prudence | 2013/08/17

I like to know does. Nuze. Can make u slim

Reply to prudence | 3 comments (hide)
Posted by: Claire | 2014/04/14

Is nuzak a mild. Antidepressant. Weight gain. /or. Weight. Loss ....

Posted by: Claire | 2014/04/14

Posted by: Claire | 2014/04/14

Posted by: BIG GIRL | 2008/10/14

MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON NUZAK AFTER I ASKED HIM ABOUT MY WEIGHT PROBLEM AND THAT I KEEP PICKING UP WEIGHT EVEN WHILE WATCHING WHAT I EAT, IS THIS A DIET MEDICATION?

Reply to BIG GIRL

Want to comment?