Posted by: Mommy | 2008-11-11

Diet for Prader Willi

My toddler has got Prader Willi syndrome, he is 2 years old. I would like to know if giving him skim / low fat milk will take away the nutrients his growing body needs? I am currently giving him Nido 250ml twice a day, he eats fat free yoghurts too. Should I cut out the Nido, he is 4kgs overweight. I know that I have to see a dietician, but financially that' s not possible now.

Hope you can help me, help him. thx!

Dear Mommy
You can use fat-free milk and yoghurt for your toddler with Prader Willie syndrome and also make sure that he does not overeat. Removing the fat from milk and dairy products does not affect the good quality protein and the high calcium content of dairy products. Before you cut out the Nido I would recommend that you do try and see a dietitian because these children need to be monitored for their entire lives to prevent them from a) getting to overweight and b) ensuring that they ingest the nutrients they require for normal growth during their childhood and adolescence.

Posted by: jo | 2008-11-11

Do you know what " Prader Willi"  is?
I am crying for you. I search " Prader Willi" .
I can only pray for you. Not much you can do for your son.
May God bless you and save your son!!!!
All the strenght from God.

Reply to jo