Posted by: Toffel | 2013-05-15

What to do during an epileptic fit?

I have a 4 yr old Jack Russel who suffers from Epileptic fits. The Vet assured me that as long as it is not to severe, does not last long and is not frequent he should be fine without medication. My question; what is the best way to treat/handle him during one of his attacks. I use to pick him up and try and comfort him, but somebody told me this makes him even more anxious. It is very difficult for me to just “leave” him when he has a fit. He gets muscle spasms, falls over produces excess saliva/foam at the mouth and shakes.

Posted by: scotty | 2013-06-04

Hi, it is such a heartbreaking thing to see a dog having a fit - you feel so very helpless! I really would suggest that you perhaps pose a question to the cybervet about medication as this is really not my area of expertise. From my own experience, it is better to leave a dog along while fitting, but I would suggest that you consider the use of TTouch for after the seizure and on a regular basis to reduce stress and will help him to come around quicker and perhaps explore the use of alternative medication by way of consulting a homeopathic vet for assistance. Good luck!

Reply to scotty