This American model’s once glamorous life was turned
upside down when her leg had to be amputated after she contracted toxic shock
In 2012 Lauren Wasser (now 28), from California, had a
brush with death after she contracted toxic shock syndrome (TSS), a rare but
serious medical condition, in her case caused by a tampon.
A short while after changing her tampon she started
experiencing flu-like symptoms but decided to ignore it and attend one of her
friend’s party’s later that night, she told StyleLikeU.
“Just flu-like symptoms, I was feeling nauseous and my
head was pounding,” Lauren recalls. “All I wanted to do was get into bed.”
After spending a brief time at the party, the model’s
friends told her she didn’t look well and sent her home.
“The next thing I remember was my blind Cocker Spaniel
barking and pounding on my chest.
“I came to and I could just hear pounding on the door
and someone saying, ‘Police, police, open up!’
“The police officer came in and he told me I really
needed to call my mum because she is really worried about me,” she says.
According to The
Sun, the young woman reassured her mom that she was okay
and agreed to phone her first thing in the morning.
“My mum never heard from me . . .”
“She called the police and they came round. It took
them 30 minutes to get through my front door and they found me on my bedroom
floor, face down.
“I had a high fever, my kidneys were failing, I had a
heart attack,” she says.
After specialists performed various tests, Lauren was
diagnosed with TSS and was immediately treated.
“They called the specialist down and he checked if I
had a tampon in. As soon as they located it got sent to the lab and it came
back as TSS, and as soon as they removed it I started being more receptive to
treatment,” she recalls.
A short while later the young woman learned that her
right leg needed to be amputated when she overheard a nurse talking to someone
on the phone, Yahoo
“I remember her speaking to someone and saying, ‘I have
a 24-year-old girl here who’s going to need a right leg below-the-knee
“I knew my legs weren’t good but I just couldn’t . . .
Hearing those words come out of her mouth and being by myself, it was so
surreal,” she says.
Since sharing her incredible story, Lauren, who’s been
teaching girls about the danger of TSS, has landed several modelling contracts,
appearing in various campaigns wearing her gold prosthetic leg. Sources: news.com.au, ibtimes.com, refinery29.com