A question often asked is when to know if someone is addicted to sex. Here is a list of 10 signs that indicate the presence of sexual compulsion:
- 1) A pattern of out-of-control behaviour
- 2) Severe consequences due to sexual behaviour
- 3) Inability to stop despite adverse consequences
- 4) Persistent pursuit of self-destructive or high - risk behaviour
- 5) Ongoing desire or effort to limit sexual behaviour
- 6) Sexual obsession and fantasy as a primary coping strategy.
- 7) Increasing amounts of sexual experience because the current level of activity is no longer sufficient
- 8) Severe mood changes around sexual activity
- 9) Inordinate amounts of time spent in obtaining sex, being sexual or recovering from sexual experience
- 10) Neglect of important social, occupational, or recreational activities because of sexual behaviour.
If you think you may have a problem, call the SA Sexual Health Association 0860 100 262 for a referral in your area. Also look for books written by Dr Patrick Carnes, "Don't call it Love" an excellent book on Compulsive Sexual Behaviour.