Your baby is growing by the day!
Your baby's progress:
- Your baby measures about 23cm crown to rump and 32cm from head to toe.
- Airs sacs in the lungs begin to develop.
- The lungs secrete surfactant which covers the inner lining of the air sacs. It allows the lungs to expand normally during breathing.
- Your baby may jump in response to loud sounds.
- He or she may react to bright light aimed at the uterus.
- Brainwave activity begins.
- Dental problems are common because of your increased levels of oestrogen and progesterone.
- If you feel your uterus contract, you may be experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions. Don’t panic – this is your body’s way of preparing you for labour and the contractions tone up your uterus.
What to do:
- Visit your dentist and brush up on oral hygiene.
- If you haven’t found a good antenatal class yet, start looking for one.
Good to know:
- Some foods may contain bacteria that can harm your baby. Avoid soft cheeses, and undercooked meats like sushi.