We hope your pregnancy is going swellingly well so far!
Your baby's progress:
- Your baby measures 17.5cm crown to rump.
- Baby's growth starts to slow down.
- Your baby becomes more active as there's more amniotic fluid in which to play around.
- His or her heart rate grows stronger.
- The legs are reaching their relative proportions.
- The measurement from your pubic bone to fundus is about 20cm. Fundal height is measured to estimate the size of your foetus – it eventually stops at about 35-40cm.
- Your ankles and feet may be swelling.
- Oesophageal reflux (regurgitation of the stomach contents into the oesophagus) may cause heartburn.
What to do:
- Start finding out about antenatal classes in your area.
- Drink lots of fluids and rest with your feet up to reduce water retention. Now you have a good excuse to sit back and relax!
- Speak to your doctor if you're suffering from heartburn; he may be able to prescribe an over-the-counter medication.
Good to know:
- Keep up with your calcium intake. Milk and dairy
products provide you with protein, Vitamin B2 and, importantly, calcium
to build your growing baby’s bones and teeth. Opt for milk,
yoghurt, cheese and maas.