Welcome back to your pregnancy series. We hope you're keeping healthy!
Your baby's progress:
- Your baby weighs about 70 grams.
- He/she measures around 12.5cm.
- Your baby may even start sucking his or her thumb.
- The skin is so transparent that the blood vessels are visible.
- Lanugo (fine, downy body hair) covers the body.
- Your heart is pumping up to 20% more blood than usual.
- Your uterus may begin to rise past your hipbones any time now. Your doctor will start to measure "fundal height" - the distance from the top of the uterus (fundus) to the pubic bone.
- Your breasts are becoming progressively larger and heavier.
- Skin pigmentation known as chloasma is likely to increase. Don't worry, it should fade after the birth.
What to do:
- Buy a good supportive bra to alleviate the strain on your ligaments.
- Discuss with your partner whether you want to know the sex of the baby.
- Stay out of the sun to avoid or reduce pigmentation marks.
Good to know:
- It’s perfectly safe to travel by plane in the first and second trimester, as long as there are no complications with your pregnancy.