Do you know whether the electrical system in your home is safe for yourself and your children?
With ever-increasing technology, there are more and more gadgets and appliances that require electricity to run, which means more power sources, points and outlets in your home.
If you have children, these power points propose a very real danger. Children are naturally inquisitive and often mimic what their parents do, and they may want to play with a plug point after seeing a parent or guardian changing plugs or switching on the power.
Plugging wall sockets
What would seem more natural to a child than fitting their tiny fingers into those almost perfectly-sized holes in the wall? It is therefore absolutely necessary to have all open wall sockets fitted with safety plugs so that little ones can't follow the urge to explore these small holes.
The voltage that surges through the adult body after an electrical shock from a household power-point would cause some pain and discomfort and definitely scare the victim, but think about the same voltage surging through a young child's body - it's an entirely different situation. Such a shock could cause burns, significant damage to their internal organs, and they could go into immediate cardiac and respiratory arrest.
General safety tips
- Inspect your appliances regularly
- Make sure that the power cords are not cracked or frayed
- Do not overload power sockets by having too many appliances plugged into one point
- If an appliance sparks or smokes when it is switched on, replace the appliance immediately
- Make sure there are no unprotected live wiring sources in or around the home
- Think about DIY projects that you may have started where you would need to rewire an area, such as placing lights in your garden or setting up a pool pump - consult a professional electrician.
Older houses, with older circuit boards and technology when it comes to electrical wiring, are more at risk for short circuits and possible electrocutions. Have your circuits checked on a regular basis by a professional electrician.
Should an electrical shock occur, contact your local emergency services immediately or ER24 at 084 124, and do not touch the patient unless you are certain it is absolutely safe to do so.
Remember, the onus is on every parent or guardian to educate their children when it comes to safety around electricity in your home.