The perineum can be very sore or tender after your delivery and care should be taken to assist in its recovery.
The following are tips in the care of your perineum:
- Ice packs can be applied directly to the perineum if bruised or if the mother had to have an episiotomy.
- The perineum must be swabbed from the front to the back passage (vagina to anus) and should be cleaned frequently with warm water or a diluted antiseptic (ask your doctor to recommend one), especially after a visit to the toilet.
- Sanitary towels must be changed at every toilet visit and before feeding.
- Salt or sitz baths can be taken to soothe a sore perineum.
- The vaginal area must be kept dry and clean, a hairdryer may be used to help (cool or warm setting). Do not burn yourself.